FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bumped from Flight
View Single Post
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:52 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by suncarl9999
Hi,
Received a call on Wednesday this week from WestJet that I got bumped off a flight on Saturday. The flight was booked about 4 months ago using non westjet points. The airplane on the Saturday route was not one that was recently grounded. The flight status did not change. We have friends on the same plane & flight that did not get bumped. The same plane was being used for the same route. They just arbitrarily kicked me off my direct flight.

After about 3 hours of multiple calls I was able to rebook routing with a major painful difference. 2 Kids and wife go one direction, me and my other kid go in another direction hubbing through different cities. We have to start 11 hours earlier.

I go from direct flight of about 6 hours to a non direct itinerary of 17 hours. Funny thing is we land at a similar time as the original flight. Just the hardship of being apart for the start of our family vacation, starting much earlier, sleeping in the airport, being ready earlier, missing our free ride to airport etc. Will be so tired on my first day of vacation will be a waste of vacation time for that day.

Is this grounds for compensation. If anyone has advice, understanding of amount of compensation etc this would be helpful to consider when I lodge a complaint.
Thanks
Jay
What WS did is just wrong. I would demand a day room/hotel/ all extra expensive to be paid for by WS. I would also get them to put your family all on the same flights. You should also ask for compassion on the fact they bumped you from a direct flight. I see a CBC news report soon!