FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - “All departures to America from T5B”
View Single Post
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:37 am
frank_poulankh

Programs: BAEC Blue
Originally Posted by hshs
Pre-Clearance isn't all it's cracked up to be. At pre-clearance in Dublin, they don't trust that Dublin airport has done its scanning job properly, so out come your liquids and electronics again and off come your shoes. If several US-bound flights are departing at the same time, the queues can be enormous. Global Entry helps with that, of course, but I still find GE on arrival quicker than on departure.

One other nice thing about immigration on arrival is that you clear into a quieter area of the airport. With pre-clearance, you're treated like a domestic flight and disembark into a terminal thronged with hordes of departing passengers.
I take your points but the through-checking of hold luggage that pre-clearance offered me on my one and only experience of it to date was a great advantage.

Having had a CBP officer threaten to send me home from PHL for “abusing the ESTA system” (I make just three 6 night trips per year!?) on a previous trip, I’m now much happier with the idea of being sent back to BHX from pre-clearance at DUB, than from, say, JFK to LHR YMMV.