FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Opaque nature of change fees
View Single Post
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:56 pm
brentford77

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Opaque nature of change fees

This must be some kind of a record...

Flying tomorrow BOS-LHR on the early morning (08.40) departure with further LHR-DXB-LHR-BOS segments on the ticket. Booked in Club in a discounted fare bucket. Probably R but can't easily find the info. Change in schedule means I will now be spending tonight in NYC, hence, it would be much easier to take the JFK-LHR service just after 9am. Asked the GGL to quote for changing it: "The Club World fare you are currently on has a '7 day advanced purchase' so if you changed the first flight now it would be a huge additional collection of approximately USD12,522 plus the USD500 change fee"

That has to be some kind of a record! the JFK flight tomorrow has availability in all fare buckets apart from I class. The frustration is that when you book, you never have a clue what the cost of making a change will be. Sometimes it's not a lot. Sometimes, like this, it's astronomical! Frustratingly, based upon previous experience, I reckon there is an 80%+ chance the JFK staff would just put me on their flight at no cost, but I can't take the risk they won't so its the 6am LGA-BOS flight for me to make sure I make the BA Boston departure. Oh well....sets his alarm for 04.15hrs...