Old Mar 20, 19, 12:48 pm
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Beltway2A View Post
SPG's highest-tier (Cat 7) properties were 30,000-35,000 per night for a room, and 60,000-70,000 per night for all-suite properties. In Marriott terms, that's 90-105k for a room, and 180-210k per night for an all-suite property.

We had 9 months where we could get rooms for a very small fraction of that. I got 5 nights at an all-suite property for 240,000 points, just barely over what a single night would have cost under SPG. Even the current highest price, 100k during peak times, is less than what we would have had to pay under SPG.

I fail to see where the massive hike is.
So to provide some history for the SPG folks, prior to the merger the highest MR Cat 9 rooms were 45k per night (e.g. London). Now they are anywhere from 50-100% higher depending on dates, etc. So that's a massive hike.
Ritz were typically 50-70k points and many are higher.

As for SPG typically I found Westin rooms for 12k though top St. Regis ran 30k. So maybe not a massive deval at SPG high end though the 33% deval on SPG Amex everyday spend points is a big hit.

Yes many of us took advantage of the grace period to book top SPG properties at a discount. It was a nice carrot, but the stick has now arrived.