FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - All electronics turned off for SIN-SFO flight - comments from multiple onboard FTers
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:34 am
katycab

Programs: United 1K
All electronics turned off for SIN-SFO flight - comments from multiple onboard FTers

Hi all- I just flew from Singapore to SFO and it was the worst. I am curious what you all think is fair compensation.

All of the electrical power had to be shut down to the passengers for the entire flight. This meant that the entertainment system did not work. We could not turn the lights on and off. This meant that throughout the night everyone was blinding each other by using the flashlights on their cell phone. We could not recharge devices. I was flying in Polaris Business and the seats could not be moved up or down with the controls. I wondered if that would mean that we could not land, but when I asked a flight attendant if there was a chance it might get fixed I learned that she can disconnect it from the motor and manually move it. The galley did not have electricity. We did get meal service, but we had to eat in the dark.

The good news is that the Internet worked! I was very grateful for that.

The problem arose from some glitch that was causing the seatbelt chime to constanly sound again and again and again. The only way to stop it was disconnect all of the power. They even considered landing the plane in Tokyo and having us fly out the following day on a new plane

During the flight we got emails that we would get $125 in travel vouchers. I do think that this is more than fair if all we were missing were the movies. But I wonder if you all think that the widespread nature of multiple issues and the cost of the Polaris ticket meritted a little more. What do you think?