FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - B737MAX Recertification - Archive
View Single Post
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:56 am
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by username
I think the whole problem now is credibility - credibility of Boeing, the FAA and the airlines. It sickened me today to see Boeing Chairman Dennis Muilenburg's statement. I hope the truth comes out in whatever criminal and civil cases they are going to face around the world and fundamental changes are made (process, culture, design, etc.) so all these people did not die in vain.
This.

When the ET crash occurred, I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt - initial reports suggested that there were somewhat different circumstances than Lion Air. Seems like the more that comes out, there were more similar than not (though Lion Air apparently knew the sensors weren’t working prior to their fatal flight, and it shouldn’t have gone out). And as that happened, and the focus came in again on MCAS, and we learned that pilots not only didn’t need to be trained on it, but it wasn’t even listed in documentation for pilots to read. And that the FAA gave their blessing with no additional pilot training. What I’m not sure of is how much of this was Boeing failing to even mention it to FAA, vs. FAA knowing yet still rubber stamping Boeing’s lackluster training recommendations, presumably made so that airlines would be able to buy the aircraft without ‘needing’ additional training for pilots. How is this even possible. And how did Boeing’s CEO really think it was smart to constantly uphold the safety of the aircraft, knowing what he knows about everything behind the scenes (that’s a rhetorical question...but I get liability and not wanting exposure to additional lawsuits).

So the question is not just on this, but how long has stuff like this been going on with Boeing and the FAA? Is the fact that the 777s haven’t had major issues a fluke, or is that a result of certification measures that were better at the time? Does the fact that FAA certification is considered as good as the national certification in other countries continue? And what happens to Boeing going forward? Did they really put so many lives at stake just to get an aircraft out X years faster than otherwise. Can they even survive after all the payouts to airlines, penalties, etc. if nothing else, gives Airbus a huge selling point.

I’ll admit I always preferred Airbus to Boeing aircraft, but that opinion was mostly based on the fact that to me, it felt like a more comfortable aircraft. It was never a concern over potential safety issues with Boeing. Now, I’m starting to wonder.

I think I read Lion Air has 200 MAXs in order, and since December, have considered canceling them and giving the orders to Airbus. How many other carriers are now considering this? Will these MAXs ever be allowed up in the air again, and how does that affect the airlines that bought them, particularly airlines like AC who can’t really absorb the impact of this with the rest of their fleet (unlike UA who can, since it’s such a small portion of the fleet). How long does will it now take to deliver an Airbus after ordering one, and how
quickly will you be able to get a Boeing. Wil Boeing even be able to get people to order their aircraft at cost?

As more and more news comes out, I’m feeling more and more dismayed, and wondering how so many basic things seemed to have been put aside in the creation and certification of this aircraft. Put me down as someone who initially wasn’t worried about flying in a MAX, but now definitely am, even when if they are certified to fly again.