FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:47 am
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
I received the information that "Your documentation must be verified at the airport before a boarding pass can be issued" despite that I've scanned my passport using the United app. Does it just mean that my passport was not verified successfully, or can it imply that a visa is needed?
Neither. I recently received the TINABP message even though my passport was already scanned and verified on a prior trip (though it was not the first choice listed in my profile). No visa was required for this country. However this is the second time that this has occurred when I have an international connection at ORD.

My conclusion is that I will receive the TINABP message when (1) the first flight is a domestic connection, because UA does not want me to start my journey without verifying my passport and/or visa and/or (2) the country has a visa requirement (same rationale) and/or (3) At checkin, I select a passport that is not the default choice on the app.