FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Giving up upgrades for Lent
View Single Post
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:25 am
GRALISTAIR
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by flyingmontana
A few years ago I started giving up all my upgrades (which are usually first class, since I travel weekly between my job in Ohio, my husband in New York and the skydiving team I run in North Carolina, and those routes aren't in high demand) during Lent. In some ways it's awful--I depend on those first class seats to catch up on sleep since I am absolutely exhausted all the time. But I've also noticed that it makes me appreciate the upgrades the rest of the year so much more. Since I devoted myself to Delta only and gained status, I'm ashamed to say that I feel like I turn into more of an ....... (even if it's just my internal attitude) when I get too used to flying in first class! It's like being surrounded by rich people contagiously infects me with some sort of annoyed, entitled mood. I hate myself for it! Giving up the upgrades for Lent hits the reset button on that. Also, it is fun to look around and find someone who looks like they could really use it (sometimes they're really tall, old, injured/disabled, or just look really tired or upset) and see their surprise and joy when I explain and ask to switch seats with them. I always inform the flight attendants/gate agent what I'm doing and they have always been supportive and helpful. The emotional benefits to me are great enough that sometimes I think I should just keep doing it after Lent, but I'm just too tired and selfish for that
Good lord, I thought I was a fairly nice person, but you sound like a really nice person. Very thoughtful of you indeed.