FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your Emirates Skywards Questions Answered - 2019/2020
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:56 am
skywardhunter

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Greenkiwi

Thankyou ft101 and skywardhunter!

Due to late flight booking and return date most likely to change I am on a flex plus ticket. I have in the past got the magic upgrade at the gate due to oversold economy (a big bonus on the dxb - akl flight).

Price wise if there is availability is it best to upgrade in lounge or once seated on flight?

am thinking of just paying to upgrade the dxb - akl flight then using points to upgrade on way home and of course changing days if need be to get availability for the upgrade.

I don't think you can upgrade onboard for cash and not sure about upgrading mid-segment for cash either (i.e. your fare is AAA-DXB-AKL and upgrading for cash in DXB might not be possible for them to calculate easily unless there is an offer available for a discounted upgrade. As it is I'd keep an eye out for J Saver (O bucket) as from Flex Plus the additional cost might not be that high and sometimes savers do open up shortly before departure. With miles you can upgrade either in lounge or onboard, same miles cost.