FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccommodation)
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:58 pm
superweak

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would hope that professional pilots working for major carriers would refuse to fly aircraft types on which they had received insufficient information and especially training. Before the Lion Air crash, there apparently hadn't been an acknowledgment from Boeing that some systems in the MAX 8 were very different, but afterward I would have expected more questions than have been reported, when they could reasonably have first suspected that some specialized training was needed. OTOH, I understand that refusal to fly an aircraft, even if there are serious maintenance issues, can be detrimental to one's flying career at some airlines like Lion Air.

BTW can a pilot refuse to fly with a particular copilot whom the pilot believes to be insufficiently experienced, insufficiently trained, or simply lacking good judgment?
I understand that "blame the Ethiopian pilots" is the go-to meme at the moment, but is there any evidence that an AA pilot who refused to fly the MAX despite the company, chief pilot, and Boeing assuring them that everything was fine and just like the -800 wouldn't find that detrimental to their flying career?

"It can't happen here" is precisely what leads to massive failures of safety culture...