FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying high-end phone in China
View Single Post
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:26 pm
StuckInYYZ

Originally Posted by powerful pete
Thank you gentlemen, this is indeed very helpful. I would primarily be using the phone in Peru and while travelling globally, but it would be my personal (not work) phone in the US, so I am interested in ensuring that it would work there also.

I am not particularly concerned about using the phone while in China - I have always used all of my usual apps with a VPN with nary a hiccup, but must admit I am not certain about whether I carried out any updates.

And a special thank you for the update on the new Huawei coming out.
Regarding VPN, every few months, the Chinese government cracks down on VPNs... The GFWC can cause problems if your VPN provider is targeted in the current sweep (I remember my laptop needing over 4 hours to sync up with PIA before I could access my stuff at home). Also, keep in mind that with a VPN on a mobile phone, unless things have changed, will keep your phone's radio transmitting data (admittedly not a lot, but a trickle to maintain the connection to the VPN server). This can have a detriment to your battery life as well as your data plan if not checked.