Old Mar 18, 19, 8:56 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Hilton's rewards program is garbage. They hand out diamond like Oprah would on her show.
Hilton hands out Diamond like candy, but the benefits are still roughly in line with Titanium.

(1) Diamond gets 2 breakfasts per day every day pretty much everywhere in the system. I do not need a lawyer to figure out whether a given hotel honors elite benefits.
(2) Neither status gets many big upgrades. I get the same rooms in both chains - a non-suite sometimes of a "mini-upgraded" nature, like a corner room or on the exec floor.
(3) I get lots of bonus points.
(4) Titanium has an edge of less late-checkout hassle in most places.
(5) I have these SNAs in my account that may at some point have value, although people here seen to have mixed experiences.

As for the awards themselves, it all depends on what your goal is. Hilton gives you a faster track to the top-end aspirational awards because you earn so many points per dollar. Marriott gives you better return on real cash-replacement awards in the low categories because Hilton has completely gutted the middle/lower end value.

Hard to call Hilton's program "garbage" when most of the mechanics of it work a lot like Marriott. The past few weeks, I've actually been having better luck finding standard awards in Hilton than Marriott (looking at the top-end properties).