FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best and Fast VPN for China ?
View Single Post
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:41 pm
STS-134

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
Are VPNs illegal in China? I assume so.
No, they are not illegal. Running a VPN that's based in China without a license is illegal, but foreign VPN providers are obviously not subject to Chinese law, and using them is not illegal.

Is this something to be concerned about, have people been arrested for using a VPN?
As far as I know, no foreigner has been arrested for using a VPN. China's government is trying to strike a balance between allowing enough access to foreign websites by foreigners so as to not piss off the foreigners so much that they all leave (or stop visiting), while also not giving their own people unrestricted access to information that they consider harmful to their national security. You know, like the type of stuff that the US government allowed to spread unchecked on social media during the 2016 election, and we won't ever know if said information ended up changing the result of the election.

I'm not sure it's a risk I'd want to take, unless I can't access stuff related to work.

I read a lot of travel blogs on Twitter but can certainly do so online. Are US based sites all blocked?

I also remote in frequently to my office computer in US to get work done. I use Remote PC(like logmein, etc.) Is this kind of connection going to be blocked?
Most popular US based sites are blocked. I'm not sure if remote PC access would be blocked, but to be sure you can access it, and US based websites, it's best to have at least two VPNs before you visit China (so that you have a backup in case the first one is blocked).