FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best and Fast VPN for China ?
View Single Post
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:18 pm
Loren Pechtel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I'm sure this has been discussed but maybe having the information in this thread would be useful. And, I'm clueless on this and taking my first trip to China in a few weeks.

Social Media-all major sites?
What kind of sites due they block? Is it indecency they block, politically motivated content/social media or both?

Are VPNs illegal in China? I assume so. Is this something to be concerned about, have people been arrested for using a VPN? I'm not sure it's a risk I'd want to take, unless I can't access stuff related to work.

I read a lot of travel blogs on Twitter but can certainly do so online. Are US based sites all blocked?

I also remote in frequently to my office computer in US to get work done. I use Remote PC(like logmein, etc.) Is this kind of connection going to be blocked?
To a large degree it's anything China doesn't like and anything that's likely to be used to spread messages China doesn't like.

All major social media sites are blocked. (English language discussion boards such as this one are normally ok, though.)

Cloud storage sites (Dropbox and the like) are blocked.

Major news sites are blocked, small ones might work.

Anything Google is blocked (because Google wasn't happy about being hacked by China.) Note that this includes things like ReCaptcha, Android handwriting recognition and the update site for my old phone--the whole trip my phone was bugging me to install an update I couldn't download.

Don't count on having anything but Baidu for search--and it does a pretty poor job with English language searches.