FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccommodation)
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:14 pm
s0ssos

Originally Posted by dp4m
This was shared with me by a guy I know who's a former USAF pilot and likes this writer's stuff and that the dude knows of what he speaks; YMMV of course. (I don't read aviation journals normally...)

https://airfactsjournal.com/2019/03/...-trust-pilots/
Very interesting points.

What I find more interesting is the idea of statistical significance. Many stated that just 2 crashes means nothing. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't (this was days ago, now it seems it DOES mean something). But at that time, with limited data, people weren't certain.

That is the future though. As we demand more and more safety, we have to rely on less and less information. In the past maybe it was acceptable for some people to die before we got it right (whatever field that is). Nowadays the expectation is that nobody dies. Or, at least fewer than prior.
But as things get safer and safer, fewer and fewer incidents happen. So the magnifying glass is put on the incidents that did happen.

Do all of them mean something? Maybe, maybe not. But it doesn't matter anymore. They HAVE to mean something. Because we feel we have to change something to prevent anything from happening in the future. Even if it were, so to speak, "unpreventable".