FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:22 pm
mikebor

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by DEN ConsultMonkey
Is your idea of elevated service having the FD say "thank you for being an ambassador member"? Pretty sure that this is where service stops for me.

Where are you staying? That is impressive, considering I am 0/33 on the year.

I have yet to see a property go out of their way to treat me differently than ANY other customer, be it a non-bonvoy member, gold or titanium. I truly can not identify one differentiation from platinum/titanium status.

This is crazy to me, given my experience with my ambassador. I travel regularly, so over and above is not critical on business stays. With that being said, I have received the room I booked 33/33 nights this year. I dont even know what I would do if I saw the interior of a suite at a Bonvoy property! =)
Data Points:
Nights-120+
Spend- 50k+
Property Types- 85% full service
Nights- 33
Spend- 10k+
Property Types- 100% full service

As many of you have suggested, I have been clear with my ambassador about when I feel things are important.

My data points are as follows:

Request: Weekend stay with my family at property with lots of suites. Indicated that it was a special occasion for the family, and that we were hoping for as much space as possible. Also noted that we would be traveling for considerable amount of time and that we would appreciate if we could get in the room early so that our little one could nap. Applied SNA. My ambassador assured me that she contacted the hotel and they would see what they could do about a room, and noted that we would be arriving early.
Result: Arrived at property to check in early. Was told that early check in was not possible and that room would be ready well after check in time. Was told that there had been no correspondence with ambassador. Received a room with broken glass on the floor and not suitable for children.

Request: Took the in laws on vacation with the family. Requested connecting rooms. Ambassador confirmed connecting rooms and upgrade request on her behalf.
Result: Tried to check in at check in time. Rooms were not ready until 30 & 40 mins after check in time. Property denied ever being contacted by Ambassador. Did not receive connecting rooms. Reached out to ambassador and general ambassador line. Did not hear back until after stay was completed.

Request: No request, but expected a good stay when checking in for a three night stay at a premier Bonboy property on my birthday.
Result: Almost got walked, received last room (not a desirable room).

Request: Help identify properties that would be suitable for quick vacation for myself and wife. Desperately in need of a nice vacation and looking for places with good Ambassador recognition and not a base level room on points.
Result: Ambassador sent a list of Bonvoy properties at requested destination.

I am honestly at a loss. I do not see any incremental benefits after 50 nights. SNA's are almost NEVER getting confirmed, this remains true for all members (no preferential treatment for ambassadors), and ambassadors can not confirm in advance. I care about breakfast benefit only when I am on vacation, yet most true vacation properties play games. Resort fees on award stays... For all of the evangelists, what am I missing here? Is it that easy to get a kick a** ambassador? Does bonvoy really consider this to be a benefit that people will dedicate additional spend to? Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to ask for a new Ambassador? Lurkers? Please, someone, anyone convince me that Hyatt or a combo of Hyatt and Hilton are not a better alternative.
Listen I truly feel bad for your experiences but maybe you should take on a little responsibility here and follow up with your Ambassador a day or 2 before your arrival. Ask him or her who they spoke with and or who replied to the email they claim they sent. Get names and maybe from time to time take a few minutes and call the property yourself and speak to 1 of the higher mgrs or even the GM. If hotels are claiming they did not receive any emails from your Ambassador that would be a red flag to me. I would immediately be peppering my Ambassador with questions as to why the hotel is claiming otherwise and demanding for a supervisor.

Look I love my Ambassador. She is based in Omaha and we speak a lot and she is wonderful. But I also want to perhaps know more than the avg client. Like if she tells me she sent an email to the property I will find out who replied back to her. To me that is a no-brainer. I am equally involved with her gathering info, not just receiving general info. But that's just me. Mainly because I have a lot of requests like 10 extra small feather pillows, AC that is not motion sensored and can go to 60-62 degrees if I wanted, a fan in the room, an extra fridge with some bottles of water, etc... she makes things work and if my requests aren't met she will be on the phone calling the GM immediately.

Bottom line, at least until you feel comfortable with your Ambassador's ability to get things done you should be more involved with these special requests. Call the hotel and get specific info from your Ambassador. And if they are not getting the job done ask for a supervisor and switch Ambassadors.