FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:41 am
tods27

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by cletraveler
My understanding was that I-70 between DIA and Aspen was closed due to avalanches so that took DIA out of the picture and further limited options.
When I-70 was completely closed, you can bet that there were people that asked to stay at the hotel an extra night,

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I think there are a combination of issues here ...

(snip)
2. Unlike most hotels, the StR Aspen isn't going to get any last minute walk-in and is likely fully booked. So, since they didn't check the OP in, the room went empty and they didn't get paid.
(snip)

That being said, lots of people were impacted by weather this week. If you're a ski resort property, its a cost of doing business. Additionally, as a higher end property, you would think they care about reputation but, my worst cancellation experience, is with a StR before the merger and I agree with the concept that they can be arrogant. I believe their approach is that you must have the money to stay there so just pay up.
As noted, having the major highway to DEN closed changes the math on the "last minute walk-in". You cant assume that the room actually went empty in this case (note that I'm not saying this is a reason to get rid of the policy, just noting that circumstances matter)

Originally Posted by mrfussion
I don't think this is accurate. Keep in mind if planes are not coming in, that also means they are not going out. I have had Aspen trips last longer than expected and also been traveling with people who had to extend trips due to flight cancellations (including one a couple weeks ago)...
Exactly.

It is interesting that the OP was given advice to check in with the app. As others have noted, even when checking in with the Marriott app, you still need to go to the front desk and pick up your key. I have wondered what would happen if I checked in on the app, then didn't make it to the hotel until the next day if they would really consider me "checked-in" or a no-show. Using that to avoid a no-show penalty seems like a pretty good reason to use the app.

Last edited by tods27; Mar 15, 2019 at 7:53 am