FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thunderstorm, lightning strike, a broken tyre: Meeting the family in UK on CX (J+PEY)
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:35 pm
jysim

Programs: CX Silver
Dunblane and Edinburgh

After replacing the flat tyre, we bid goodbye to Richard and Diney and headed to Dunblane. When one Googles Dunblane, the first hit is about a primary school massacre in 1996. The sister was not too pleased we were to spend a night there, while my initial thought was just to break the trip to 2 days just so we don't get too exhausted.

On the road again.

What the internet did not immediately tell them about Dunblane, was this spa hotel dating from the 19th century. The Doubletree Dunblane Hydro originally housed an extensive bath facility where the sick and ill come to recuperate before the days of modern medicine. Besides the heritage, internet reviews on the restaurant, The Kailyard by Nick Nairn, seems worthy of a try. The price we got from hilton.com was very reasonable as well.

Arrived at 3 pm to this weather and handsome mansion.

Going about a week without a proper swim, I went to check out the (minuscule) pool after settling in the parents. Before I left, I told them we had a reservation at the Kailyard for dinner. "The restaurant looks quite posh when I passed by just now," I briefly mentioned just before leaving for the pool.
Ninety minutes later, I returned to find the parents busy ironing their full dinner clothes complete with a tie and jacket. As the sister complained, they took my words to heart and thought it would be wise to wear their Sunday clothes for dinner. The sister was eyeballing me. "If I don't see anyone else with a tie in that restaurant besides the waiter, I will kick you down the slope after dinner."

Generally we found the service to be much more slow relaxed compared to Asia or even London. Of course it might be due to the slower pace of life up north. Dinner was enjoyable and even the waiters did not wear ties.

The Dad still insisting on a shirt, while Yours Truly with a polo.

After a good night's sleep, we drove the final journey into Edinburgh. We dropped by Stirling Castle on the way. The castle is perched on top a hill offering panoramic views of the plains and National Wallace Monument nearby.

Into the city again after several days of hills, valleys, and castles. Dropped my parents at the hotel and returned the car to Enterprise. So after our flat tyre in Buttermere, Mum had been very adamant I drove too fast and insisted I slow down on an hourly basis. "We can get there later but still in one piece, as long as we are safe..."
Another favorite pastime after the accident is to estimate the cost of the repairs, including a tow service of nearly 20 km and replacing a tyre by a mobile unit. We bought damage waiver capped at £100, but different calls to different agents revealed varying explanation on whether the cap is applicable to a flat tyre. In truth I think the agents are clueless themselves.
The suspense was finally lifted when we found out the cap is applicable. So for our tow and tyres, we paid the extra £100 and nothing more.

A heatwave was running through Edinburgh. One more night and I'll be back to Taipei while the family continues their trip here.

Hotel Indigo Edinburgh City Center

Final installment: the long trip home