FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:08 pm
LapLap
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Busymann
To clarify, when I say the next Sunday, I mean midnight Saturday night.

The reason I wouldn't wait is because it's a pay now or pay later situation. On the Sunday of checkout, all I care about is 1 trip to the airport.

However, on the Sunday of check-in, besides the NEX, I may want to take the train elsewhere after check-in. That would at least be 3 train rides (NEX, train from hotel to say, Shinjuku, and then the ride back) vs at check-out, a train ride on the NEX back to NRT.

I know personally, for an upcoming trip, I might want the NEX Green car from NRT then since I have to pay, take the Skyliner back to the NRT (which is cheaper than the NEX.

Hence, why wait?
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
To be crystal clear, if you activate the 14-day Rail Pass on Sunday and use it the same day, it will expire at 11:59.59 pm on Saturday 2 weeks later. If your flight out is on Sunday, you would need to pay for the ride back out to the airport. You could also activate the Pass immediately on arrival but designate the next day (Monday) as the "start date,' but then you would need to pay for the first train into the city on arrival day. Pretty much the same out-of-pocket expense.