FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Has Marriott always been this virulently anti-guest?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:11 pm
HereAndThere

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
When Bill Marriott was in charge, the emphasis was on the customer. Things started to go downhill in 2009 when Arne was promoted to President and COO. Bill Marriott's team enforced contracts with franchisees with an iron fist, almost always ruling in favor of the customer.

Things are different under Arne's team.
I agree. In the "good old days" the lounges were open on weekends, upgrades usually worked as indicated, there were no mandatory, rip-off, resort or property fees, customer service calls were answered promptly, platinum welcome gifts included a bottle of wine, if desired, etc.

(Recently, It took more than 3 weeks time for Marriott to respond to a website problem I had. And of course the e-mail response was the typical brush off: "I offer our apologies for the delay in response, as we are currently experiencing a higher correspondence volume than usual.")

The culture is much changed with brand inconsistency, hotel inconsistency, and poor customer service too often. After 1500 plus nights with Marriott, I see Marriott as simply another opportunistic business where customer service cutbacks are the perceived way of maximizing profits.