FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Falling ill or injured whilst sojourning at a luxury hotel
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:59 pm
KatW
Original Member

Falling ill or injured whilst sojourning at a luxury hotel

Cast at Zihua clinic

Cast change after surgery in Palo Alto; two lengthy incisions on either side of right ankle.

Just after injury.

We know there are myriad ways to evaluate the benefits of a luxury venue and numerous ways for a hotel to make recovery even when the fault is not theirs. I recently was reminded of one criterion not often addressed here: What happens when you fall ill or are injured during your stay?

On my latest trip to Mexico earlier this month, I fractured both leg bones just above the right ankle tripping down a short flight of stairs at La Casa Que Canta in Zihuatanejo. This luxury venue could not have been more helpful and solicitous. Ambulance and EMTs called to give aid.

Given the way the resort cascades down a cliff to the sea, there are numerous stairs up which I had to be carried (oh, the indignity) to the ambulance that took me to a clinic. Doctor instantly at my side, xrays, bandage and cast, NSAIDs prescribed and crutches lesson (I was hopeless), then back to the resort all within an hour and a half. They stopped by frequently with chilled washclothes, water, snacks and even offered to bathe me (I declined gracefully). Resort paid for all of it -- ambulance, doctor, clinic, treatment, meds, crutches. I said it was unnecessary but they insisted.

Another instance ten years ago at Esperanza in Cabo, I slipped on the tile floor and gashed the back of my head. Concierge to my side in minutes, doctor called, wound cleaned, stitched, bandaged in our suite, all done 40 minutes later. Again, resort paid for treatment, comped us dinner and upgraded us to a larger suite.

A variation on the theme, last summer at the Savoy in London I discovered I had forgotten one of Jim's meds. Called the concierge who arranged for a physician to call on us. She reviewed Jim's online medical records (handy that) and wrote a prescription which she gave to the butler who had it filled. Most satisfactory outcome.

I don't recommend injury or illness when traveling but having a luxury hotel care for one in the event of same is very comforting. What have been experiences in this regard? What are your expectations?

Last edited by KatW; Mar 14, 2019 at 12:19 am Reason: added pix