FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 MAX 8 crashes and effects on AA 737 MAX 8s (NOT reaccommodation)
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:55 pm
exwannabe

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Herb687
I'd argue that pilots reacting in a catastrophic way to software reacting to bad sensor data was also the issue. ...
Maybe I misunderstand you, but as I understand it the issue is more likely not the pilots reacting catastrophically, but instead handling the failure like any other 737 runaway stabalizer issue

As I understand it, with the other 737s they could control a runaway satabalizer by using the stabalizer trim buttons and turning off the autopilot. With the MAX though the MCAS is enabled when autopilot is off, and the trim buttons will not override the MCAS decision to faceplant the plane. The pilot has to hit the cutoff switch that disables all electronic control of the stabalizer trim and then use the mechanical wheel to bring it back up.

I see this more like a pilot acting like he was in any other 737 and not expecting an automated system (that the Lion Air pilot likely never even knew existed) to be overriding the trim buttons on the yoke that he was pressing.

Just because the pilot made a wrong decision does not always make it his fault. It could well be he never was properly made aware of the difference with the MCAS.