FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thunderstorm, lightning strike, a broken tyre: Meeting the family in UK on CX (J+PEY)
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:27 am
jysim

Programs: CX Silver
Thunderstorm, lightning strike, a broken tyre: Meeting the family in UK on CX (J+PEY)

Apparently this is one's first trip report on FT, so trip report gurus out there please have mercy on me; and know that this was written (in between idle intervals) on a night shift in a pediatric emergency service.
In 2016 the sister went to Durham for a Master's program in...... culture preservation and/or heritage management? Anyway, since the parents had never been to Europe, and the joy of seeing their offspring finally in no need of financial support for the foreseeable future, we decided to spend one week in the UK with the purpose of attending the sister's graduation ceremony.
Only one problem, the humble brother, having to do emergency department shifts and recently just back from a conference in Copenhagen, would not be able to stay until the graduation. Instead, he would spend a few days with the family and fly back alone, with a tiresome journey as a punishment reflected on the title.
Itinerary
TPE-HKG on J (bought PEY but op-up due to equipment change)
HKG-LHR on PEY
EDI-LHR on Flybe Y
LHR-HKG on PEY
HKG-TPE on J (bought PEY but op-up due to equipment change)
Cathay Pacific CX 469
Taipei TPE to Hong Kong HKG
A330-300
10:00-12:05
June 14, 2018
Business Class

A short hop over the Taiwan straits on CX J

It is always interesting to observe the crew on ultra-short CX flights. Most of the ultra-short flights are operated by relative junior crews who are:
  1. Extremely courteous and by-the-book, who applies slightly too much makeup, or
  2. Would eyeball once you have any requests out of the ordinary, i.e. no ice for my drinks
The short flight time coupled with a full cabin means service is extremely rushed. It is actually a Duracell bunny marathon from the moment the seatbelt signs are off until "crew to be seated for landing", which is at most 1 hour for a typical TPE-HKG flight.

After landing I made my way to The Pier.

I personally prefer the daytime flight out of HKG. Having infinitesimal chances of sleeping on any aircraft, I could eat and watch TV until landing just in time for bed in Europe.
Cathay, of course, operates several wonderful if occasionally crowded lounges in HKG which is one of the reasons I'm still sticking with their FFP.
Heathrow-bound on PEY. The main difference between PEY and J would be not being able to lie flat and having a neighbor beside you. The main difference between PEY and Y? Having an exclusive cabin, a separate washroom (on select 77W), and a different main for the first meal. For me departing from TPE, PEY can sometimes be good value given it is about 30 to 40% markup from a Y fare, a less crowded cabin, and a larger seat. The price difference between PEY and J is another 50 to 60% extra to Europe from TPE.

Cathay Pacific CX 253
Hong Kong HKG to London Heathrow LHR
B777-300ER
15:10-20:15
June 14, 2018
Premium Economy Class

Cathay provides amenity kits in long-haul PEY, consisting of socks, eyeshade, and ear plugs. As you can see I find no use for them, kept most of them intact over the years, and had even gave some out as gifts.

The outbound flight was uneventful. A middle-aged lady sat next to me occupied her time by coloring books (interesting hobby). Toward the end of the flight she applied some scented massage oil. I assumed it was to help her sleep, but that scent did trouble me as a seatmate. I watched a series of Wong Kar Wai films featured on the IFE back then.
Taken on the A359 from CPH a few weeks back. Also a Wong Kar Wai movie.

Overall quite a pleasant flight. While many have moaned about Cathay's poor food offerings, there is one thing consistent about Cathay long-haul - consistency. You can almost expect to receive moderate to poor food but a relatively polished crew, good IFE, and timeliness if Hong Kong's big brother up north do not act up on airspace restrictions from time to time.

Next up: London and Cambridge

Last edited by jysim; Mar 13, 2019 at 12:07 pm