FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What’s Marriott Customer Service team’s role?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:34 pm
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I think we all need to acknowledge there are times when MAR CS drops the ball & should be roasted on a spitfire (not defending them at that point & willing to throw a log on the fire!), but there are also times when elites are in the wrong & blame CS when they don't get what they want. It's not an either/or.

I have a friend (who shall remain unnamed & property as well). He's told me (never mentioning guests names) stories about elites that make me ashamed they're in the same category as the rest of us!

Examples:

* Platinum 'self-walking' to another property (vs. being walked by the property, which would have tossed a Priceline guest aside to make room for the Plat) & then demanding Plat comp of $200/90Kpoints/paid room....

* Wife of Ambassador (Ambassador not staying at property) throwing her weight around based on hubby's status & demanding upgrades & other bennies ....

* Titanium member who booked the cheapest room during a high occupancy time (festival where 100K people came to town) & not only demanded an upgrade (which ironically were booked by non-elite guests who were willing to pay for the upgraded rooms!), but demanded a crib (they had them but other guests who had requested them had already gotten them) & then said if she had to buy a crib she would charge the property, etc.

* A Platinum who literally shook the GM's hand as he was leaving & said in a very hearty voice that he/his fiancee had a great stay & then gave the property a 1-star review (WTheck) after a 24-hour stay because he didn't get an upgrade during the aforementioned festival. My friend said they had 15 Plats checking in & not enough suites. But seriously - a 1-star review just because one didn't get a suite - and to be a d*ck about it by shaking the GM's hand & saying how great everything was.

Again, MCS can be screwed up, but elites can be as well. It's not an either/or.

FWIW - the only time I complained to Bill Marriott was after a stay at County Hall in London & it had jack all to do w/ elite status, but the way the property handled a fire alarm where the staff totally ignored the alarm until guests brought it up & then evacuated onto the sidewalk for a long time & never told the guests when they could come back in (you know it's bad when the hotel piano player says to a guest, is it ok to go back into the building).

I didn't ask for nor did I expect any type of compensation. My point was to get the hotel to sort out their evacuation process better. I know others would have asked for lots. That's not my thing. To each their own.

I will also say that I write hotel GMs, Bill M (and now Arne) when I have exceptional service & if it's a particular employee, I ask that my email/letter be put in their personnel file.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Mar 12, 2019 at 11:06 pm