FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 'Space available upgrade' offered - best way to use it?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:54 am
likethis

'Space available upgrade' offered - best way to use it?

As part of complaining about the gluten free food in First, and collapsing foot stall in CW (among other things), I was offered 20k Avios, which I refused.

I was then instead offered a 'space available one-way upgrade', which is something I've never heard of before.

As we have a WT booking LHR/DEL (out this Friday, back 31st), the customer relations agent suggested applying it to that.

What's frustrating though is that:
  1. There's a huge list of terms and conditions basically stating it can happen at any time up to the gate, or not at all (hence 'space available' I suppose)
  2. The agent was also unable to explain anything about likely availability, whether it matched normal reward availability, and whether gold status would help
  3. They even stated that we may even see empty seats in WTP, despite being refused the upgrade. This advance warning suggests expectation management that makes me think that's common enough.
I also asked the agent if I could upgrade WT to WTP myself, with cash or Avios, and apply the upgrade then to CW (it's a night flight, and would be a real boon), but still there'd be no guarantee, and WTP itself isn't worth it to me.

So any ideas on how best to use this? Shall I ask them to un-apply it, and wait for when I know a WTP-CW space is available?