FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lounge chancers
Thread: Lounge chancers
View Single Post
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:32 pm
IanFromHKG

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by jcgrief
I fly Las Vegas to Southern India twice a year which is a Grueling 3 Flight Trip!. Most of the time I fly Business being the trip is 27 hours total travel time so I have access to these lounges. Sometimes 1 leg of the trip I do not fly Business but I will go to the Lounge of the Airline I am flying and show my Boarding Pass with a $20.00 USD Bill! This usually gets me in NO PROBLEM! I have a few drinks and I will TIP the Bartender $20.00 USD from first Drink cause NOBODY TIPS THE BARTENDER! IT IS EXPECTED SERVICE! THIS SOLUTION HAS NEVER CAUSED ME ANY PROBLEM from hanging out in the Lounges for HOURS!!! Learn How the World Works People! Take Care of the People Taking Care of You and The World Will Turn!!! Life Lesson Number 1!!!!
If you are flying an alliance airline, and only one of your legs is not in J, are you not likely to get access to lounges anyway? I'm not familiar with other alliances but on OW many connecting flights still permit lounge access if the preceding or next leg is in J. More to the point, however, I have to deplore your use of bribery. You may think this is "NO PROBLEM!", but those of us who have a sense of decency and ethics, and who pay for the provision of lounge services either through the fare for the flight in question or through loyalty to an airline (or credit card fees, or whatever), are subsidising your theft.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I think part of the access confusion is that at AMS the BA lounge is, as per the OW lounge finder, only for BA and CX but all other OW airlines use the Aspire Lounge
Actually, the lounge finder also says "Access for eligible customers traveling on any oneworld member airline". I am constantly amazed that so many people who fly frequently aren't more conversant with the rules. And ditto, as mentioned above, some of the lounge angels/dragons.

As another poster has suggested, I have a copy of the oneworld access rules printed off (together with some other useful information for people who should know better, such as the rules saying APEC BTC holders get access to crew lanes at US immigration) and it lives permanently in my hand luggage. I've had a few arguments with lounge angels/dragons over the years. The most persistent access-denier was at the BA F lounge in LHR T5 who insisted that I wasn't allowed access because their system showed my status as Sapphire rather than Emerald, even though I had renewed as Emerald a week or so beforehand. The fact that my boarding pass showed my status as emerald, and I had my CX Diamond card with me (and presented it to him), and was able to show on my phone that the CX website confirmed my status, were mere inconveniences to him. Not as inconvenient as me, however, because I stood my ground and escalated. His supervisor put him straight in fairly short order but it still took quite a long time and put me in a very bad mood (didn't show it, I was civil, although probably showing my irritation!). Given that I think that the T5 F lounge is fairly mediocre it would have been easier for all concerned if I had just rolled my eyes and walked away, but I'm a man of principle and his dismissive attitude really annoyed me. I understand that these poor people get chancers all the time and may have limited tolerance - I totally get that - but when someone produces the actual bloody membership card AND boarding pass AND online confirmation of their status you might think they would accept that their system is perhaps awaiting a refresh and isn't current - but noooooo....