FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:36 pm
krazykanuck
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hawata
i am sure if people wouldn’t manufacture bogus spend like you do here in this example, there would not have to be a 25K limit on Groceries spending.
I'd argue that MSers are probably not the primary cause of that cap, since Amex has long had limits on the grocery store bonus category, ranging from the Everyday to the BCP, and both at far lower caps than the Gold card. I'd posit that the reason for the cap is because the rate Amex (and V/MC for that matter) charge grocery stores is lower than what they charge restaurants, which has no cap on 4x earn. We might be a secondary reason though. Also if $25k/yr isn't enough for your grocery budget you can simply get a second gold card account with its own $25k 4x allowance.

Bringing this back to the point of this thread, it seems Amex is getting better at 4x coding with the 3rd party systems. I had both Toast and Square using merchants code as 4x in the last few weeks, and a couple of them were breweries that don't serve food, so it's proving to be fairly reliable. 1 brewery posted as 1x as a "bar & cafe" though

Last edited by krazykanuck; Mar 11, 2019 at 6:41 pm