FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is the point of miles?
View Single Post
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:16 am
irishguy28
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by adutchuser
I only ask as when ever I try to book an award ticket I end up giving up and paying for a normal flight.
Miles are better spent on business class long haul - unless you are making a last minute economy booking where the cash price is huge, or buying a one-way ticket for a route where they charge a premium for one ways.

Remember, though, you are not comparing like for like in your example. For your cash ticket, you have limited or no flexiblity. With your mileage ticket, you can cancel for a fee (€42). Of course, this is often not necessary, as many (most?) economy tickets sold have little to no flexibility, and therefore most economy ticket purchasers never consider/require flexibility in their bookings - but it still is something to bear in mind when making your comparison.

Of course, if booking the cheapest possible ticket is your goal, then you shouldn't be limiting yourself to AFKL anyway in the first place!

It also pays to be very flexible when booking with miles. You should instead book with miles when it makes sense to do so, or when you can be totally flexible on when/where to go - rather than deciding - OK! This is a trip I must book now, and therefore *this* is the ticket on which I must spend my miles!