FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is the point of miles?
View Single Post
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:38 am
fifty_two

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by adutchuser
This seems to happen when ever I try to use my miles for any destination I need to get to.
its not an uncommon feeling , ''redemptions costs'' increased a lot during the last few years and miles earnings decreased in inverted way , so you need to fly more and spend more to earn same amount of miles

I do not understand how an award ticket can end up costing more than the normal fare when both in economy.?)
with award ticket , airmiles dont earn money ''directly'' , so there should be a ratio which is profitable for them

eg : buy a normal ticket to argentina for 1000 dollars which gives you 100 miles.

Then you will redeem your miles to buy a award ticket to go to sweden , that will make your 100 miles be worth 50 dollars . because the flight to stockholm cost 400 miles , and of course dont forget the 100/150 euros of fees/taxes and so on....

Compare this to the 200 dollars for the full price ticket to sweden , now you understand where is the trick

You need to know a bit history of aviation and frequent flyers program , then you will understand that these programs are like cash machine for airlines , but on the other end they need to give less and less real benefits , in order to decrease spendings and maximise profits

What is the advantage of having miles if I can never use them?
now you start to understand the ''scam'' , but again its linked to evolution of these frequent flyers programs , dont think its just flying blue or KLM , all the industry is going this way , maximise rentablity to the maximum

How when I read these forums does everyone else get what seem to be better deals and use of their miles?
Neo , thats because you need to be smarter than the matrix . Now you are a member of flyer talk it mean you took the good pill and you want to know the truth . I was an ignorant like you in 2014 but a friend introduced me to the world of frequent flyers and i started to read this forum

It helped me avoid a lot of mistakes and optimise my trips/spendings like i never imagined

Stautus is : Platinum ( a few years worth)
so it mean you are a ''passive elite customer'' , which is not pejorative or bad , it mean you had to fly a lot , spent a big amount of money (or your company maybe) and you never worried about such topic . to summarize you are perfect customer for an airline

I only ask as when ever I try to book an award ticket I end up giving up and paying for a normal flight.
quick example:
Trying to book a transatlantic flight to the Americas
-5 months in advance
-cost of economy flight return 581 euros inc. taxes and extras like luggage
- award ticket same flight ( approximate numbers)
- 118000 miles plus 300 euros
- Miles and cash - 125000 miles and 600 euros cash. so more than a normal fare and the priviledge of no XP
you need to compare all options , and even flights with other airlines (skyteam or not) , cause today loyalty is not rewarded , just fly with whats the most convenient for you (we all have different criteria and needs)

in my case iam often flying skyteam , not by choice , but because thats the cheapest way to go to places where i have to fly( bizness or leisure ) and the most obvious choice is a skyteam airline

so by preparing a complex strategy i can spend the less money possible for leisure trips (when company/customer pay i dont care) and try to earn a max of miles

thanks to monthly promo awards i was , for instance , able to fly twice to united arab emirates with KLM for 20000 miles or central america for less than 30k miles

Last edited by fifty_two; Mar 11, 2019 at 10:03 am