FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which card(s) to use for high spend or large purchases? [Consolidated]
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:54 pm
Stgermainparis

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RedSun
You need to do research on all the individual CC. In general, It is good to use Tax payment and Plastiq for payments to meet welcome bonus spending, or to reach certain status spending, such as $10k for Radisson free room or $15k for Hyatt free room. AmEx runs a point promotion to spend $25k etc.

If not for those, then you need to find a CC which can pay you more than the fees paid. So you need to get to 2% level. A 2% cash back card can do the trick, such as Citi Double Cash or Fidelity Visa. There are more cards like that.
Thanks for the info. Didn't know about Radisson room. Yes, I've done some research on individual cards but the promos are often temporary (like the current bonus for Marriott of 7500 per $5k or Freedom quarterly bonuses). I did see the Hyatt free room for 15k, but I'm having a hard time using the free 1-4 cat certs I already have. Our travels always seem to take us to properties 5+ cat. Ugh!

My Amex earns at 2x (or 2% level), so that's my back up plan. I'd rather have the points than the cash back b/c I value them more. Just was thinking there might be some other perk out there that I'm not seeing. If Freedom Q2 includes mobile payments/paypal/chase pay, then I'll do that for a portion of the taxes.