FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Moved to Europe - Best Marriott Alternative?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:01 pm
nacho
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Based in Sweden I feel I need to say I agree with you and correct you. We have a Marriott in Cph, Sheraton and CY in Sthlm and plenty of DH in Cph, Sthlm and Helsinki. There's also a Moxy outside central Oslo. But no more Marriott hotel in the other cities.
Thanks to other successful nordic hotel chains like the Nordic choice (Clarion etc), Scandic etc there's already a very unfair situation in place for others to enter. Another reason why an american hotel chain like Marriott won't try to increase its footprints in the nordic counties is mostly because the majority of americans are usually fine with visiting the capitals.
I stayed in Sheraton Stockholm this week for a couple of nights. Americans everywhere.

​​​​​​Outside the Nordic market in Europe you will see hotels from Marriott in smaller cities and not just in the capitals.
I think Accor and IHG have a great footprint in Europe (outside the Nordic of course) but IHG has a bit better membership than Accor.
I really hope Marriott will improve its footprint further in Europe and launch more plans soon. There are already Marriott properties in Asia everywhere ��
I know that there are other Marriotts in the Nordic, but what I'm talking about is the lower cost versions, not the Marriott, DH, Sheraton....... but more like CY, Fairfield Inn. Not every business travellers get to stay at FS hotels - Mr is an example, the only place his employer will let him stay at a FS Marriott is in India. He had to stay at HIX in Beijing.

Radisson has a good footprint in Scandinavia too - I find their rooms better than Scandic/Choice.

I feel the main drawback for Marriott in Europe is lack of budget options compared to IHG.