FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:02 pm
HNLbasedFlyer

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Fredd
What I haven't seen mentioned here is the failure of two separate lawsuits against UA brought by "lifetime" members of Silver Wings.

I was one of two named plaintiffs in the first of the suits. We lost because we could not come up with any paperwork documenting the T&Cs of our original signup. The onus was on us rather than UA. Ironically, I finally found my old Silver Wings membership card just a few months ago, but even that didn't include T&Cs so I doubt it would have made a difference in the outcome.

In a subsequent suit, summary judgment was granted against the plaintiff. My last post on the topic is here.

Gary Leff wrote about the second suit here. He also went back to the Million-Mile-Flyer suit to quote two judges' colloquy with a UA lawyer:

I have no idea if those judgments have any relevance to the lifetime club memberships but bring this up FWIW. I do wish the affected lifetime members well. I can empathize.
Yeah, UA is very emboldened not losing any of the "lifetime" suits - and they'll simply argue in this case the members still have lifetime status, but access rules are changing - and they'll claim T's and C's allow them to do that. I think the CO paid memberships will need to show T's and C's that grant unlimited access for any reason and CO not having a right to make modifications to the agreement. Then again, November is still a long way away.

I think the bigger shoe that may drop in the future, and I think a decent possibility, is the 2MM fliers who got lifetime UC like myself get it revoked.....