FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rosewood Miramar Beach Montecito - Now Open
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:54 pm
peter11

Programs: UA, SPG
Rosewood Miramar Beach Montecito - Now Open

I visited the new Rosewood Miramar Beach Montecito property today. I live in the area and the occasion was lunch with friends. We did take the opportunity to walk around the property and get an idea of what it might be like as a guest. As for our lunch it was not spectacular. The all day restaurant is was the only option. Called Malibu farm the food was fine but the service not so much. They ended up comping our bottle of wine as we waited over 30 minutes for a couple of sandwiches and a salad. I am sure they'll work the kinks out.

The property is pretty spectacular. Upon entering the "manor house" your eyes are drawn through the living area to the terrace. From here you have a nice view across a lush lawn with the ocean front bar and the ocean visible in the distance. On either side of the lawn are the family pool and adult pool. Malibu Farm is here on the terrace. Inside the building is the manor bar (clubby formal, very nice looking but empty this afternoon), GwynethPaltrow's "Goop" shop, as well as the gym on the western end of the building with cardio equipment on a covered patio.

Heading out across the lawn you'll encounter the railroad tracks that bisect the property. The crossing is manned by a guard who will let you across when it is safe. The intention of having a guard is so that the train need not sound its horn as it approaches. The problem is that about 100 feet to the east is a crossing for which they must sound the horn. Long story short (I will post video if possible) the train does make a fair amount of noise. That said we heard guests comment that the ocean front rooms can barely hear it; a testament to the sound proofing of the construction. At train level, but beach side, you'll find a beautiful bar overlooking the ocean. One level down is Caruso's the fine dining restaurant with large booths indoors and a large covered/heated deck for beach front dining.

The overall impression I got was that the resort is very well done with all the details one would expect of a Rosewood property (note I did not see the rooms). That said, I think that time will tell us that room selection might be pretty important here. It appears that there are rooms above the manor house. These rooms should have some ocean view and enjoy the view over the lawn and the two pools. Yes, you'll have dining below you with some clanking dishes. But if on a budget this would be my first choice. The beachfront rooms look to be spectacular but at $1700 for a week night in May seem a bit pricey. However, if the budget allows these are, obviously, the best in the house. To the west of the manor house (the mountains are north in Santa Barbara and the freeway runs east/west notwithstanding the signage that says north/south), are the cottages and the "lanai" buildings. The lead in Lanai category rooms (which are currently priced at $1000 for a weeknight in May) are close enough to the freeway that you'll hear the din while on your veranda. These two story buildings overlook a cluster of cottages. And while the cottages might be some of the largest rooms they felt too close together to me with patios that had zero privacy. I felt like I was walking through a housing development not so much a luxury hotel. That said, I am sure the interiors are beautiful. It is just that this area of the property (Lanai buildings and the cottages) lacks the openness that one first experiences overlooking the main lawn area. I am sure that they will work well for some people, but you'll always wish that you booked a beach front room.

They certainly have some kinks to work out but the property overall is beautiful. It will be interesting to see if the current rates hold up over time. I am not an expert on all of the competition but at this price the world is your oyster. I will be curious to see some first hand reviews from those who have traveled here to stay.

Family Pool

Family Pool

Adult Pool

Last edited by peter11; Mar 9, 2019 at 4:59 pm