FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Domestic flight chaos today (8 March)...Why?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:52 am
brenrox

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I flew out of ZQN on Thursday. Was on the 1615 to WLG and had multiple messages from NZ from about 11:30 advising people to defer travel until Friday due to expected issues later in the day.

Rain set in reducing visibility and caused at least one A320 go around late morning.

My inbound aircraft made it in slightly late but we left late but I think we were the last to get out with only one aircraft landing just after us before everything else for the evening was canned.

I don't know how many people took NZ's advice of changing to Friday but it clearly wasn't smart advice - first flights out were all canned to to inbound aircraft not making it in on Thu evening, which then caused massive follow on issues. I think some pax were bussed to DUN to get them on flights.
I thought RNP allowed jet aircraft to land in basically no visibility (i.e., night) at ZQN? That bus trip to DUD would be horrendous too, terribly winding road.