FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Credit card Asia Miles earning opportunities (HK) 2019
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:57 pm
percysmith
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by CX HK
While the part about taxi's are true, I find that very few other businesses are "cash only" - even some of the larger cha caan teng's take Octopus now!

But more importantly, there is no difference between Citi and StanChart when it comes to ATM's - they are both a part of the JETCO network. In HK, it is essentially HSBC / Hang Seng vs The Rest.

Given that StanChart is a "local" bank (I know it is UK-headquartered, but it is essentially a HK bank), it would most likely be more convenient to go with them. Citi has a much smaller presence, though feedback has been very positive from American expats.
SCB pros
More branches to deposit surplus cash, cheques (these you must deposit in own bank)
Ability to register third party transferees and bill payment accounts without branch visit

SCB cons
Jetco withdrawal must be >=$500 (so you can't get a bunch of $100 notes from many banks - it'll spit out a $500 note instead)

(I haven't been a Citi banking customer for years so my comments may not be current)
Citi pros
Only bank to entertain account opening request from passport holders

Citi cons
PPS limit $50,000