FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can two planes with the same call sign be in the air at the same time?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:44 pm
steve170461

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Originally Posted by blackdog047
In Europe we have CSS which we run as part of the Network Manager

"The use of similar call signs by aircraft operating in the same area, on the same radio frequency gives rise to potential and actual flight safety incidents.

The Call Sign Similarity (CSS) project, has been initiated by EUROCONTROL with the aim of establishing pan-European CSS solutions centred on a coordinated service operated by EUROCONTROL’s Network Manager Operations Centre (NMOC). The aim is to reduce the level of operational call sign confusion events and therefore improve levels of safety."
Daventry sector used to have the following on the same frequency at the same time which help lead to the resolution quoted above:

BMA2
BMA52
BMA82
BMA652
BMA952
DAN102
DAN152

and a couple of others to add to the mix. It was a nightmare for all concerned. I think I may still have one of the reports that I filed at the time.

BA add the D to indicate a day late, but also use 91## out of the US. I think we were on BA9106 when our SAN flight got a 24 hour delay.
I actually didn't think it was now allowed to have 2 aircraft at all with the same callsign but happy to be corrected. Does the ANZ1/2 situation actually have the same day of operation?