FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:59 pm
threeoh

Originally Posted by busyizzy
Question!

I want to make sure I'm reading this right. When it says "When it was parts of your journey already made that no longer serve ANY purpose to your original travel plan," this means I cannot request reimbursement of tickets since my trip served two purposes: getting myself home, and getting myself to the anniversary dinner and one of these purposes were fulfilled, correct?

I am going to file for the 600 euros, but wanted to check to make sure I could not get back more (flight delay was due to delayed incoming flight).
No. That provision is for if you decide not to travel to your destination.

Imagine you are to fly CDG-SFO-LAX for a conference. You are delayed by more than 5 hours and, while sitting in SFO, you realize you will have missed the important parts of the conference, so you want to just return to CDG.

Not only will they refund you for SFO-LAX leg you won't fly, they will refund you for your CDG-SFO leg (which you flew, but is no longer useful to you) and for a flight back to CDG.

This is also called "trip in vain" in most USA carrier's CoC.

I'm 99% sure this does not apply for flying back home to SFO and remaining in SFO, just because you were delayed over 5 hours. The only case it would apply is if you returned to CDG and abandoned your trip.