FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Other options besides Eurail?
View Single Post
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:09 am
carsearch1982

Thanks I appreciate the advice. So from what I'm hearing its a tough choice. Because I basically want a mixture of both (the flexibility to get on a train the night before or day of since I'm not sure of how long I will want to stay in each country. As well as not having to pay $400 plus dollars for a Eurail pass to do that.) But then you guys mentioned that it could be cheaper to take a train (either fast or regular trains? Not to clear about those) country to country but the problem with that is that I will have to pre book at least days in advance or else I will pay a lot more (maybe even end up paying more than what the Eurail pass would of cost me after all the train trips?)

Also I don't plan on sleeping on the trains everytime. But maybe the couple of train trips that are 6+ hrs just because of how long the trips are and to kill 2 birds with 1 stone of being able to stay/sleep on a train and not pay for an airbnb for that night while traveling.

So if I were to take a train into lets say 4-5 countries (budapest-prague.. vienna - budapest... prague to germany.. and germany-amsterdam) I would probably not only pay the same/more than buying a eurail 7 day pass but I would most likely have to book a day/days in advance? Which defeats the purpose of what I want to use the train for.

To make it clear I want to travel by train but it doesn't seem like a Eurail pass is going to be worth it because I wont travel enough to get my moneys worth but at the same time booking individual train trips will probably be cheaper but I can't count on booking the night before I decide to leave country x and go to country x without paying a lot more? If this is correct what would you guys do? Either overpay for a Eurail pass or not pay for eurail pass and hope that somehow the trains I end up taking arent booked the night before I decide to leave and hope that they dont end up costing more (all the train trips total) than the $400 dollar pass I could of got that would of included all these places?