FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Sapphire Reserve Baggage Delay Insurance
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:26 am
no1cub17

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by threeoh
You have to start your claim within 20 days but don't need to supply all of the documents and claim form until 90 days. So if you hit day 18 just initiate a claim (in writing or through the web portal, takes 3 minutes) and then let it hang out while you wait for AA.

The big U.S. carriers are usually pretty good at compensating as they are required to by the DOT. If you sent them your receipts and your expenses were reasonable (i.e. new swimsuits, clothes, cell phone chargers) they should send you a check. Max is ~$3,500 for domestic flights, $1,500 for int'l.

The Chase insurance is only $100 / day.
Thanks! Yeah we ended up just buying one set of clothes and swimsuits, which was quite the adventure in Lanai. Didn't realize even basic goods are so hard to procure! Remembered our phone chargers in our carry-on at least, haha. Just curious what does the DOT require in terms of compensation? Somehow I've never pursued this with a US carrier before. Gotten lucky, I guess.