FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Skipping Segment, Hidden City / Point Beyond / Throw Away Ticketing (master thd)
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:17 am
LondonElite
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
Just because a company puts something in their COC doesn’t mean it is valid, correct, or morally right.

As and extreme example to make a point, they could say that by using their services you give up your right to free speech (ability to criticize their product). In fact, some companies have done so, and just because they put those rules in, I have no obligation to follow them.

We (those who agree with me) have a difference of opinion with the companies (and their sympathizers). I think I have bought a product or service and I can choose to use as little or as much of it as I want. They can put whatever they want in their COC and that doesn’t make it incumbent upon me to follow that. The courts have consistently sided with this view.
By and large, you are wrong. When you purchase a ticket, you agree to the CoCs. You may not like them, but you've agreed to them. When you break the contract, the other side can seek remedies under the terms of the contract. You are free to escalate this to a court, which will of course not enforce such silly examples as giving up free speech. If you can show me how courts have consistently sided against companies in the interpretation of their CoCs, I'd be interested to read about some examples.