FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China - 2019 onward
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:49 am
moondog
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tth6133
If you want to do the touristy things, hotels along the Bund and around People's Square are the most convenient. BTW, people that fill the Square, E Nanjing pedestrian road and along the Bund are mostly domestic tourists, not real locals. However, if you want to stay in quiet and nice residential areas, then something like IC Ruijin, 12 Hengshan, or even Radisson Blu Xing Guo makes more sense.
I like your post, and agree with your points, but allow me to add a few comments:
1. Lujiazui is extremely modern, and domestic tourists treasure it
-if you don't care about Shanghai history, perhaps it's a good option
2. People's Square provides only a little more feel for the true Shanghai (because it is west of the river), but is still sub optimal IMO (i.e. it is very hectic)
-as a foreign male, I dislike the prostitution solicitations that are a part of the Nanjing E Road experience; I am well enough worn enough to ignore this stuff completely, but some newcomers are a bit put off
-do not let this affect your hotel choice; it's no big deal in the grand scheme
3. If you are not here on business, Jing'an and Xuhui provide a better experience in my opinion, but location is subjective