FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help with upgrade strategy
View Single Post
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:01 am
seasidesam

Help with upgrade strategy

I’m new to this so please go easy 😊 I’m planning ahead and can’t work out my best way to proceed.
We (2 adults and 2 kids) are planning 2 weeks in Orlando in May half term and the week after in 2020.
We have about 160,000 AMEX membership rewards (so could transfer to Virgin or Avios) and I would love to upgrade us to at least one way upper class.
My questions are this:
Can I only upgrade flights which are reward flights? So it depends on availability of those reward flights? Or can I upgrade any premium economy flight with miles so long as it’s the right class?
I was planning to buy premium economy tickets and use miles to upgrade with miles. Can I do this at the same time over the phone as soon as flights release?
Do I need to wait for return flight dates to be released before I call or can I book outward flight first then return a couple of weeks later?
We want to fly direct. Am I likely to be more successful with upgrading with Virgin or BA? I was planning to get a points credit card to boost the miles over the next couple of months but I don’t know whether to get the Virgin or BA one!!
Thanks for listening and hope someone can offer some guidance!