FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Paid upgrade to F worth it?
View Single Post
Old Mar 4, 19, 4:01 pm
cmd320

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jaimemayo View Post
Hello, I suppose I am the only one who can really answer my question but I am interested in your input. I am flying DL MKE-DTW-PHX in F. I am in Economy Comfort (or whatever it’s called now) on the way back PHX-MSP-MKE. I got an offer to upgrade PHX-MSP in F for $299. I am tempted because the seats on this route are lie-flat and that would be nice. It’s about a three hour flight which isn’t long. So what are your thoughts....is the extra $299 I would be paying worth it? Thanks!
The paid upgrade offers have been very misleading lately in my experience. $299 seems high for a single-segment upgrade on a mid-haul flight however lie flats are nice. Sort of depends on what you're willing to spend I guess. One suggestion I have is calling to see what the fare difference would be to upgrade the ticket. You can also check the fare difference online before calling if you'd rather do it that way.

Recently I purchased an MCO-ATL-CHA trip in regular Y. The app was offering an F upgrade for $63. Short flight, but I thought it was a pretty decent deal, however when you go to actually select seats, the $63 was only for the ~20 minute second segment from ATL-CHA and they wanted $299 for the MCO-ATL segment (obviously wasn't going to do either of those). What's more, the fare difference between my Y ticket and the F ticket for both segments of the trip was only about $112. Similar situation with C+. App was selling it for $89 on MCO-ATL and $19 on ATL-CHA, yet the fare difference for both segments was only $29. I ended calling in and just spending the $29 to upgrade to C+ as both of these segments are so short it's pretty much impossible to justify F on. Not sure if this is a glitch or just Delta preying on those too ignorant to check the actual fare difference, but it is definitely something to be aware of.