FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Club World (Genuinely something new)
View Single Post
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Mutu
well from memory, the original plan was close to the original post to this thread which was an all-aisle "further evolution" of the current seat. Then Cruz decided (again my memory) to can it and start with a more standard manufacturer shell plus some BA touches.
You're correct. In the current format, the New Club project has been alive for two-ish years.

Some would argue that this is too long a timeframe; I agree but with a caveat. It's not just about introducing a new seat, it's about selecting a seat and supplier, designing the bespoke applications, finding the right configuration for all the aircraft types based on current and future routes, then it's testing, certification... Plus let us not forget approvals. BA's financial approvals are long and painful and, the more expensive the project, the longer and more painful they become. I've only heard rough estimates for the cost of one fleet re-furb: the cost was enough to buy several Cristiano Ronaldos (Air France is paying 170m USD for the refurbishment of 15 330s). In these cases the approval is not just done by the applicable committee and BA Board, but also by IAG's.

All of the above is my opinion and not BA's.