FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!
View Single Post
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:14 pm
navi_jen

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Thank you for starting this. Just made my first loan to my favorite country (and home base during my PeaceCorps stint), Senegal!

EDIT: As someone who used to work in the nonprofit sector, many grants and loans given to the nonprofit have stipulations attached. Many stipulations limited the % or $ of money that can be used for operating expenses. Which can be effective in preventing boondoggles or rampant misuse of funds. However, it can also cause massive operating budget shortfalls, forcing non profits to cut back on salaries, office space, supplies, IT infrastructure, advertising, you name it. Particularly the salaries, which can be quite awful and prevent more folks from pitching in to help others. Please do think about this when you are placing the loan. One way to get a somewhat independent view of the success of the nonprofit is thru Charity Navigator, found here

Whoah. I just saw the amount of $$$ they are paying their founders. Look at page 48 of their tax returns. On one hand, I am glad they are paying industry wages for leadership. Bad news is that their COO and President are making about double their CIO and Development Officers (and we are funding these salaries). I'm on the fence about this. Two $300k comp packages seem to be pretty darn good sized compensation for a $28M corporation. Not sure how I feel about this.

Kiva - Tax Returns

Last edited by navi_jen; Mar 3, 2019 at 10:38 pm