FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First WestJet Lounge — March 1
View Single Post
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalker70

Couple open questions:
  1. Who can enter these lounges:
    1. Can someone travelling on a Plus fare enter?
    2. What about someone travelling International J on the 787 flagship service to LGW?
    3. What about WS World Elite cardholders?
    4. How does WS elite status factor in to lounge access?
  2. Does WS plan on opening lounges elsewhere in Canada (i.e. YYZ or YVR) or is it just focused on their "flagship" hub?
  3. Does WS plan on opening lounges at the other concourses where they operate @ YYC (i.e. TB / INTL)?

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
The first “WestJet” Lounge kicked off today in YYC’s A concourse. (Not sure if it happened anywhere else ... )

This is positive news - the lack of lounges was one of the main reasons why I've stayed away from WS, fares between AC and WS being equal.

The one significant change: they told me they switched to a new caterer (“Compass”). The new food is, frankly, pretty similar to the old food — other than some hot options (chili) that I don’t recall seeing before. Otherwise, it’s still sandwiches and cheese slices served out of small, grocery store style fridges. The Amex Centurion Lounge experience it definitely ain’t.
It's my understanding that Compass also does the MLL catering as well so in due course (supposing the budgets are roughly the same) you should expect to see similar food on offer. There are some on these forums who wish for the days when Sodexo ran the lounges in Canada and having been to several such lounges they cater, I can attest that there is a night and day difference between food variety and quality!
I’ll be intrigued to see if the WestJet branded/operated lounges remain in Priority Pass, and if they stay part of the Canadian Amex Platinum Lounge program.
The lounge is still listed in the priority pass website. My guess is that it will remain since WS wouldn't want to pass up the revenue they get from these lucrative agreements! In addition, their very own credit card (WS World Elite) offers lounge access using a 3rd party service - I doubt they'd want to boot off paid lounge visits from cardholders!

Originally Posted by Calgary661
I noticed this as well but pretty underwhelming compared to AC!
Haven't been to that lounge at YYC but the lack of showers in and of itself suggests the lounge will be underwhelming. As much as I complain about AC and long for the days of travelling UA domestically, they did get their lounges right: showers in every MLL at YYZ with decent food offer and seating areas. That's something that neither UA Domestically nor SQ in general can seem to get right with their lounges!

-James