FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sofitel Shanghai Hyland [leaving Accor soon]
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:19 am
PabloM

Programs: Accor Diamond, Qantas Platinum
Having now stayed at both the Swissotel Shanghai Grand and the Sofitel Shanghai Hyland, I would have to say that I prefer the Sofitel.

Pros of the Sofitel compared to Swissotel
  • Location, location, location. Right on the Nanjing East Pedestrian Street, there is so much around here, and the Bund is just down the road. It's about 100m from the train station that goes to both airports, so you can't go past location.
  • The executive lounge is better at the Sofitel than the Swissotel. Better food, drinks and service, as well as better atmosphere.
  • Wines were also much better in the Sofitel - choice of Reds being South African, French, Australian and Chinese.
  • It does feel friendlier - more French than Swiss.
  • Actually had a property room upgrade (see more on this below), welcome amenity and felt like I was a Plat here. No welcome amenity or real room upgrade at Swissotel (they upgraded me to a Club Level room - same type)
  • Cheaper than the Swissotel
Cons of the Sofitel compared to Swissotel
  • It's an old hotel in desperate need of a refurbishment. They advertise it as a 4 star hotel, and it's priced accordingly. It feels like a Sofitel from the 1990's (maybe the 1980's!!)
  • The gym etc is of lesser quality than the Swissotel which had multiple pools, as well as the gym, sauna, steam room (Sofitel still has all these except for the pool).
The only issue I've had so far at the Sofitel is that when I checked in, I was advised they had upgraded me to a Suite, from a Junior Suite. Only issue was that the windows were on the roof, and not in the walls. So it felt like I was in a prison cell. Thankfully they moved me to another room straight away!! So weird that they would have no windows for you to look out of.