FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS Sued After "Emotional Support" Pit Bull Attacks a 5-Year-Old Girl at PDX
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:21 am
arttravel

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Please do not refer to a service or "emotional support" animal as a pet. If the animals truly are as described, then they are service animals or working animals. What we have here is a person who may have called his companion animal (aka pet) an emotional support animal. However, until that is established, the animal is deemed to be a service animal.

Yes, indeed that is what the lawsuit CLAIMS. However, it is an unsubstantiated allegation and yet to be proven in court. A prudent personal injury attorney is going to toss as many claims as he/she can and will see what sticks.

The airport and the airline were in a difficult place. If they did not accommodate the people claiming disabilities then they faced ADA litigation. It's not their fault the child was left unattended or the dog owner did not control the dog. The worst part of this event is that it is likely that the dog owner was exploiting a loophole and took advantage of an allowance intended to help those who are in true need of a service animal. The plaintiff should go after the dog owner, who most likely has no money, nor liability insurance. By naming the airport and airline there is a plan to be able to collect under joint and several liability.
I agree that the allegations are just that—which is why I wrote that the sources are not that reliable.

And yes the deep pocket approach is at play.

Airlines are in a tough situation. The moment a person is denied access to a flight with their emotional support pterodactyl it is likely that the passenger will rally support online and the airline can expect angry tweets, death threats, and photos of other pterodactyls posing with ducklings, infants, and medals won in past wars, along with the “he’s just a big baby and wouldn’t hurt a fly” comments.

I sat behind a service dog on a flight in July from LHR to ZUR and what an amazing animal that was — calm and focused.

Last edited by arttravel; Mar 1, 2019 at 7:56 am