FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Giving Birth in Canada
View Single Post
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:39 pm
Ivygirl88

American Giving Birth in Canada

I have a weird situation I am in and even my lawyer can't seem to give me exact information about some stuff which i find frustration. Im just looking to see if anyone has any advice or has been through this personally.

I am an American, I am currently 6 months pregnant and engaged to a Canadian. We plan on getting married and starting my paperwork to become a permanent resident in Canada within the next month. We are going to apply inbound with me being a visitor to stay there as long as possible. My plan is to have the baby in Canada with my husband and for me to stay there (Hopefully) until the application process is complete and I can legally reside in Canada.

My concerns are about having the baby in Canada, I know I will need to still register it with the U.S.A so it can be a dual citizen and be recognized as an American as well. But are there any complications that can happen with this process? I know i will have to pay out of pocket for the health care and giving birth in Canada, my USA healthcare does not cover anything overseas. Im just trying to do this legally and im terrified that our family is going to be torn apart. This has been a difficult pregnancy and I havnt been able to work (I'm a carpenter) So my Fiance has been taking care of both of us, and will be after the baby for as long as we all need as a family as well.

Any advice on my entire situation would be great, it's a difficult process and I cant seem to find anyone with the same problems that im having to relate to and understand everything through.

Thank you all!