FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott's Customer Service : General Discussion Thread
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:24 pm
yorkboy24

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Everytime I see Marriott Bonvoy it reads as Marriott Baloney to me.

Dyslexia or Dystopia?
When British Airways changed the name of their points to Avios, it made me think 'Adios'! With Marriott BonVoy, it makes me picture one of those not-so-travelled Americans somewhere in the South, trying to speak French with a Texan twang (apologies to well-travelled Texans!). Very stereotypical but it just don't seem right for an American company to play with a French expression - it's actually a bit culturally insensitive to make up BonVoy. The French will be horrified! But again, it make me think of how many members will be saying 'BonVoy' on their new journeys as they quit Marriott for other programmes. Renaming the programme and all the money needed was a monumental mistake, just like when A-Club changed to Le Club Accorhotels (they are changing their name again soon I think). A-Club had a feeling of exclusivity, Le Club just went down like a lead balloon.

My experience of the customer service since the merger is:

1. The number for customer services for Hong Kong from my app isn't valid. Basic mistake.
2. The automatic message when you pick up is too long, especially when you have to hear Cantonese, Putonghua and English. Why don't they just ask for you to press 1, 2 or 3 first, just like they do when you call the US number? (Spanish and French are options I think)
3. The call centre operators are usually helpful but some are very direct and not willing to explain anything. When I asked for where in the terms and conditions it stated something, I got passed to another team then I got cut off. I suspect they didn't want to look into the details of the query as the longtimer (she said she'd been with Marriott for 20 years) said 'it has always been like that' and didn't like me questioning it.

Anyway, I live in Asia but I need to call the US line because the free number from Hong Kong doesn't work. Luckily it's a free Skype call but doing it that way means it doesn't recognise my number and can't filter me to the Platinum line.

Finally, yes, I keep seeing the message to update my phone number, even though it is up-to-date. They need a message to update their phone numbers in the app!!

Last edited by yorkboy24; Feb 28, 2019 at 1:32 am